Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Summer Night Favorite

I haven't shared my favorite night of this summer with you!  Every year around July 24th, we celebrate God's protection of my brother's life. 
He was born with a congenital heart defect that never presented itself until he was running at midnight on the campus of Texas A&M and passed out.  And off duty fireman saw him.  When the ambulance got there, his heart was in ventricular fibrillation--a deadly rhythm that most hearts can't kick out of.  Long story short, he had open heart surgery 2 days (I think) later, and has been as good as new ever since!  It was a really scary, sobering time for all of us.  When you realize how frail life is, you also realize how little and helpless you are in the scheme of things, and how much you are desparate for God.  It is comforting to know that He has everything in his hand.

SO, we have alot to celebrate.  This year my family came over to swim.  My mom made the best meal ever--broccoli, filet mignon (or some really good steak), fruit salad, and coconut pie.  Conley did so good, and laughed and laughed and laughed at Mom shaking a balloon at him. 

Then we went out to the pool before Conley needed to go to bed. Man, that kid! I'll give you one guess as to what he just did in this picture :D

 I promise he was having fun... :)

This passage from Isaiah 40 was my "go-to" passage during this season...
28 Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

4 comments:

StephieKnits said...

Yesterday was the 12th anniversary of my open heart surgery and then I always think of your brother's. The scripture is one of my favorites and has been since I was little. Thanks for sharing. Your Utah cousin!

Jennifer said...

I love this so much. Thank you, Lauren. <3

Krista said...

Wow, Lauren! I remember you telling me that story. So happy that you and your family got to spend some good time together :) And wow, you have a cute little nephew!! :)

kendrick said...

So much to celebrate indeed. :) Thanks for such a sweet celebration and equally sweet blog post!