Monday, December 13, 2010

The day of the dead computer

I have to write about this because it was so crazy.

Today at work, NONE of our computer programs (to give medications, to chart on patients, to look at blood labs, etc.) hospital-wide were working. It was kind of like I woke up in 2010, drove to work, walked on an elevator that took me to the 6th floor, and then I stepped out into 1987.

Believe it or not, paper charting went much more quickly than charting on the computer. But the whole day I was freaked out that I forgot to give a medication because we had no way of getting updated lists. It's amazing how blind we all felt--almost as if there was a massive blizzard and we were cut off from all forms of communication. We couldn't even look up doctor's phone numbers (well, we eventually figured out a way...).

I knew I loved my floor, but today I was reminded of how much. The doctors were understanding. Our charge nurse was unbelievable and thought of ways to make things work. Our patients....behaved... :) It could have been so much worse! I'm thanking the Lord for the inner peace that He gives and an eternal perspective.

Whew! My next two days off are going to be so nice :)

No comments: