After Focus Wednesday night, I walked in my house and was welcomed by the smell of smoke. Hoping something was merely burned, I searched for the source of the smell in the microwave, toaster, oven, and behind the fridge...to no avail. I took my investigation to the bathroom, and lo and behold the smokey smell was best friends with the water heater.
Being that we live in an old, unreliable house, I called the ole trusty UMHB campus police. They promptly showed up, flashlights in hand. After their search, they determined that the smoke was coming through the vents. Then they went out into our outside storage closet and it was filled with smoke. They told me to get out my things while they called the fire department. While I gathered my most precious and dear belongings, they went to inform our duplex mate about the plans of evacuation. To their surprise,
*drumroll*
she had burned a sweet potato in the microwave.
In the next 2 minutes we had 2 firetrucks, 2 ambulances in front of our little white house and 4+ volunteer firefighters showing up in their own cars. Yep. Pretty awesome. I felt terrible, but the fire people assured me I did the right thing by calling UMHB police. And hey, THEY were the ones who called the fire department, after all :D
So, lesson learned. Next time I smell smoke I will check with my neighbor before making ANY phone calls.
1 comment:
oh, wow.
not much more excitement can happen at that house, can it? :)
i'm interested in what precious belongings you grabbed? and surprised sweet potatoes made that much smoke.
Post a Comment