Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hum.

Could there be a more beautiful day? This is the weather I LOVE--sunny and warm, but there's a cool bite in the air. So here I am, laying on my naked bed (I'm washing my sheets!), head facing the open window that's letting in the breeze, surrounded by dancing shadows of the tree that's outside. And then, of course, there's the hum of the washing machine. I love that hum. And I love clean sheets.
I gave a persuasive speech today in my public speaking class. It's my last school assignment to do for a little while, so it's a relief to have it finished! When I was thinking about topics, I thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if I tried to persuade people to pick up after their pets?" Because, after all, we've ALL stepped in dog poo before. So, I chose it as my topic. Well, when looking for research to support my stance I discovered that it's really more of a big deal than I originally thought. My "funny" speech ended up being more serious than I had intended. And now all my classmates probably think I watched too many episodes of Captain Planet growing up. Hey, it was a good show.
I've reached the conclusion that I'm going to speak about things that I actually care about from now on. I almost feel guilty for speaking of meaningless things like frozen peas, dog waste, etc.--funny or not. Pointless, funny, things are funny for a while, but after that while is over there's nothing left. No meaning, no value, no time well spent. I want my words to mean something. If I can add meaningful humor to the meaningful words, so be it.
Time to throw the sheets in the dryer ;)

5 comments:

Calyn said...

Oh the good ol' days of Captian Planet. I remember how my mom hated it when we watched that show and now that I'm older I can totally see why. And what is "heart" anyway? I mean, earth, wind, fire, water, they all make sense, but heart?

Krista said...

oh wonderful friend, your speech topic brought a smile to my face, so thanks. But I'm looking forward to your future topics, too. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm in the process of making one of these things right now...

i'll let you know when i'm done. :)

how's everything going? i'll call you soon, i miss you...
love!

allye said...

So, here is is...:)

allye said...

I'm pretty sure i'm done with xanga. who knows though...i'm not going to delete it...so...i dont know.

yeah, after 9 tomorrow will be great, call me when you get out of class.

talk to you soon.