Isn't it a lovely Fall? Not too hot, not too cold (until today), colors changing, crispness in the air, it's lovely. This past weekend I went camping with my best friend from nursing school, her husband, and little brother. We met up with some of their friends from Houston (who first introduced us to Niko Niko's) and hit the creek with our canoes. The creek was low, so there were several parts that we had to walk with our canoes in tow :) What a sight! I wish I had a picture of that, but here we are in the deeper water:
We set up camp on a large sand bank, played games, made Silver Turtles, and told plenty of outrageous stories of course. I love how campfires bring people together; even perfect strangers. This is some of the bustle before we all sat down around it:
Another thing I love about camping: seeing the stars. And wow. The sky was clear and the stars were bright. I couldn't even find the Big Dipper! I was able to find a few other constellations and what we think was a planet, though.
While we're talking about reasons to love camping, I will add the smell of tents, S'mores (obviously), wearing wool socks, listening to nighttime creatures while trying to fall asleep, waking up quietly with the fog, dew, and chill, and getting to know people on a whole knew level. There's really no hiding :)
Okay, and I know that it's not all about The List, but there goes number 9, 10, 21, and maybe even number 3 (if we count a national land reserve as a national park?). I don't think I can do that. Anyway, we'll say I crossed off 3/24 things! Not too shabby for 3 days :)
1 comment:
Looks like a great trip! And you'll have to drag a canoe on just about any river in Texas unless you go right after a heavy rain. :)
Your first photo is AMAZING... the light just streaks perfectly onto the boat. Greatness!
Post a Comment