Thursday, October 28, 2010

This actually happened.

It happens occasionally that I get overly excited about something and commit whole-heartedly and early on; and so it was when buying tickets to see Sufjan Stevens. They went on sale at 12:00 and I bought them by 12:07 (and that was only because the website was giving me trouble...). Come to find out, seats were assigned on a first come first serve basis depending on when the ticket was purchased, so,oh yes, we got front row seats.

I beamed the whole day when I found out.
So excited.
That would have been enough...

Come concert day my friend Leslie and I were walking up to the venue when we passed a group of friends standing around and chatting on the sidewalk.

One of them looks familiar...
Me: "Leslie, THAT. WAS. SUFJAN. STEVENS."
Leslie: "Oh my gosh."
Me: "Get out your sharpie and cd"

Opportunity of a lifetime.
We were brainstorming what to say or do...so starstruck we could hardly form simple sentences. And all of a sudden, their conversation ends and they come walking our direction on the sidewalk. He just passed us and I put my hand on his back (his back!) and said, "Hey man,"--I didn't want to mispronounce his name--"Do you mind signing this CD for my friend?"

Me: *keep it together!* "Sorry, we're trying to keep this low key."
Sufjan: *pausing before turning around* "Sure! Oh you came prepared!"
[Leslie is a good Girl Scout]
Leslie: "We're sitting on the front row!"
Sufjan: "Hope you brought your earplugs"
Me: "Oh man, left them at home...."
Sufjan: "Well, I hope you brought your Dramamine."
[Not sure exactly what he meant by that.]
Us: "Good luck with the show, we're excited!"
And suddenly I'm a 12-year-old.

By then his friends had scattered. I think it was a tactic to avert drawing attention to him. Good friends.

It was great. I like it when musicians talk alot at shows--it gives you more insight into their music and who they are as a person (of course!). His new tunes are way different, but they're growing on me.




And as it turns out, our "front row seats" were really more like 3rd row because they set up some folding chairs...but hey, I'm not complaining :)

1 comment:

Krista said...

This post makes me smile!! You described the moment so well :)

I miss you!! Are we still on for December??