Saturday, April 28, 2007

Something About Sunsets

From 10:30 this morning to 7:30 this evening I have been in the library...studying. Of course, there were breaks in the for food and walking--to get the blood flowing again. It wasn't all bad. I've gotten to know a friend better that's in my class. Last night we went to Walmart after studying and we found these awesome toothbrushes that play the Rocky theme song as you brush. Cool, I know. She got one, and I coveted. Anyway, by 7:30 tonight I knew I couldn't take anymore sitting...so I rode home on my trusty bike.

On my way I saw the sun setting while it was still considerably high in the sky, so I sped up so that maybe I could catch it at The Dam. I made it! I haven't been to the Dam in a while to sunset-watch in a while, so I can't describe the happiness that filled my heart when I drove over it and saw the sun, in all its reddened glory.

At the lookout point there were quite a few people--families, couples, teenagers, bikers. It was neat to see how something so simple could draw so many types of people away from their busy lives to sit in silence together, hold their breaths, and simply watch. And then to think how that's how God made it--the sun, which we shield our eyes from during the whole rest of the day, becomes watch-able for a few sweet hours. Most evenings I somehow manage to forget that the sun sets at all, much less in such a beautiful fashion. God didn't make the sun for people to think, "Gee, this is so romantic!" or "No wonder people worshipped the sun--look at its power and beauty!" He made it so that people would think, "There's a Creator of the sun, and He allows me to have a relationship with him." The Creator of the sun! It's a blessing to see something so special.

Thank you, Lord, for filling me up, for displaying your glory in the things that you've created and for being, in no way limited by them. What we see with our eyes is only the beginning.

No comments: